Thomas C Foster
To me, reading works of literature is more than a hobby of mine. It takes me to a different place, a different time, in a different atmosphere... almost like an escape. When I read, I see myself in a new perspective. It is an experience in which we follow the hero, where we place ourselves in the position of Holden Caulfield or Elie Wiesel, and in those 200 pages, we confront a conflict, we struggle, and the resulting factors fall into place...The author captivates us and shows us meaning. We connect ourselves with the writer and the characters. It's an indescribable moment. And oftentimes, imagination is associated with fantasy.While sometimes we let our minds run free, we shouldn't confuse the two and act as though "fantasy" and "imagination" correspond to each other, at least not in the experience a reader has. There is purpose in what the author wants their reader to take from the passage.You see, words have this funny way of working. While I struggle to really find the "right" words to convey all these thoughts I have, I know that once I have them set into a phrase, it is in the eyes of the reader to make the connections and develop meaning from it. We have created a language in which abstract concepts, such as "love" and "happiness", become associated with our past experiences and that in turn, allows us, as humans, to collectively understand and communicate amongst each other.
James Skemp wrote a script that I think is very fitting for this topic, and this how I will end this post:

No comments:
Post a Comment